Saturday, January 2, 2016

My First Mountain Bike Rides at Desert Classic.

     When getting a mountain bike it is tempting to want to just hop on bike and ride like a banshee. I remember I could not wait to go down to the South Mountain Desert Classic Trail and start riding my new pony  Desert Classic is one of the best known trails in the Phoenix area. It is very crowded and on most days it is nearly impossible not see a "tool" going way to fast and running other trail users off the trail. It has every type of terrain, steep washes, rocky sections, whoopee woos and some fun offshoots that while fun can be very intimidating to a new mountain biker.

    I remember looking at these washes and trembling in fear and seeing other mountain bikers riding by with complete abandon. I remember sitting by the water tank double hump hills and waiting for a half hour before I let myself roll down.  I had to convince my self I would be OK and I can jump off bike whenever I needed to. Wow I thought that was fun  but had trouble climbing up the next steep hill. I then proceeded to ride along desert classic in the warpaint area and descended on a few steep hills. I knew I found my thrill on blue berry hill when I went down a steep wash and and an involuntary "wee" come out of my mouth. It brought back all the joy I had in riding la bike, I felt like I was 10 years old.

    I had a long way to go to becoming an established rider. It was amazing to be on a bike since I used to be a 2 1/2 packs a day smoker and overweight .  My legs would turn red and I would be breathing heavier than an elephant on a treadmill as I rode the slight incline on the warpaint loop and having folks ask if I was OK? as they passed me.

   This sport is demanding on the pocket book since we have to where the appropriate gear and riding apparel. I did manage to get a couple of cool jerseys and some Lycra shorts.  I looked pretty cool in by "Fox" black and white jersey. Only to hear someone snicker "well some people dress way better then they can ride" as the warpaint trail head. I was on my way though and no-one could discourage me since I found my new drug. I could not wait until the weekend when I could attempt another fun ride or sort of ride.

I captured this map from a good trail listing resource mtbikeaz.

The map below is interactive and provides many of the features found on Desert Classic.


For More Trails visit Mountain Biking Lady's info site.

Until Next Time

Lee

Shop Amazon - 20% or More Off Select Pearl iZUMi Cycling Gear


Submit ExpressSEO Company in LA

1 comment: